Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

MORE ABOUT ME AND THIS SITE

So you want to know more about me? Why?

Seriously .. my name is Andrew and I'm the 46-year-old author of The Bangkok Bugle. I've been living in Bangkok since June 2006, prior to which I spend most of my time in southern England.

For the past 26 years I've been working in the media and publishing industry. I've worked for magazines and newspapers in a variety of roles on the editorial, advertising and business sides of publishing. My role right now is Group Editor for a property publishing company in Bangkok. Between September 2011 and June 2015 I was working as International Group Editor for another property website, based mostly in Singapore.

In my professional media career before coming to Thailand I have ... :

  • ... been production editor for a computer security magazine with a global circulation of more than 100,000 copies per month.
  • ... been part of the team that won the Newspaper Society's Weekly Newspaper of the Year in 2004.
  • ... had my photographic work featured in many U.K. national newspapers and magazines including The Sun and The Independent.
  • ... held an exhibition of my work as a press photographer.
  • ... reported for newspapers and radio on European Cup basketball matches in Sweden, Italy and Croatia.
  • ... been part of the team which was named 'Property Magazine of the Year' by Singapore-based Marketing magazine.
The Bangkok Bugle was born in May 2006 and was originally intended as a way to keep my family and friends in the U.K. updated about my new life in Thailand. It gradually morphed into what it is today - a blog with its main focus on the media and publishing industry in Thailand. Occasionally I'll tell you what I had for dinner but I will try to keep those posts to a minimum.

During the last five years this blog has opened doors and offered opportunities that I never expected. Some highlights include:
  • Being asked to comment on media issues in Thailand by the Al Jazeera television network.
  • Appearing on a business television program in Switzerland.
  • Having one of my stories highlighted by the popular Geneva Lunch website. (What is it about Switzerland?)
  • Getting a mention in the Edinburgh Evening News.
  • Getting a four-month contract for my company to work with a Dubai-based publisher.
  • Being offered some freelance work by a leading U.S. travel magazine.
  • Being called a "media guru" by several noted websites.
  • Having the change to contribute to several books.
  • Met and engaged with numerous wonderful people around the world.
In January 2010 I was also asked to submit summary content on a regular basis to the Asian Correspondent network. This has since ceased.

In late September 2015 I decided to begin blogging again, so The Bangkok Bugle, albeit with a .BlogSpot domain, has been reborn.

For me this blog was always fun. If it ever stopped being fun I would stop publishing. When I moved to Singapore it was hard to maintain my Thailand media contacts but now I'm back it seems more appropriate to continue. 

What drove me five years ago were the comments and emails that I received on a daily basis. Thank you for reading this and for your interest in The Bangkok Bugle.

If you have any more questions you can email bkkandy AT myway.com.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.